Friday, September 5, 2008

Don Yong's Wife

In the Han Dynasty in Qiancheng lived a man by the name of Dong Yong. His mother died when he was a child. While living with his father, he worked hard in the fields. Each time they went out, he would put his old father on a small cart and follow it on foot. When his father died, he was willing to sell himself into slavery for a little money for the funeral. Knowing that he was a virtuous man, his master gave him ten thousand coins and allowed him to go home.

Dong was in mourning for three years. When it was over, he decided to return to his master to work as a slave. On his way he met a woman who said to him, "I am willing to marry you." So they went together to his master. "I have given you money," the master said to him. "Thanks to your generous help," Dong said, "I was able to bury my father. Although I am a man of low birth, I know I ought to work for you to repay your kindness." Then the master asked, "What is your wife good at?" "She can weave," Dong answered. "If yOu insist on doing something for me," said the master. "please ask your wife to weave a hundred bolts of fine silk for me." Dong's wife set to work in the master's house. Ten days later the hundred bolts were ready.

When she came out, she said to Dong, "I am a weaver in Heaven. The Emperor of Heaven ordered me to help you pay your debt because he was moved by your filial piety." After saying these words she flew into the sky and vanished.

No comments: